Booklet by Ira T. Ransom
One Hundred Questions for the Mormon Bishop
A small Booklet by Utah Resident Ira Ransom has been around for many years and has been a strong working tool in exposing the strange and false doctrines of Mormonism. We give full credit to a brother who was an outstanding witness for Christ in a tough country called Zion. These questions are from that booklet.[Ed]
Have you ever carefully compared your beliefs with the teachings of the Bible? God puts great premium upon faith; but He doesn't want us to be gullible. The Bible called people "noble" who readily accepted Paul's preaching, but were cautious enough to "search the scriptures . . . whether those things were so" (Acts 17:11). Sincerity is not enough! One has an obligation to be right!
The following 100 questions have been prepared By Ira Ransom for sincere and thoughtful people to ask about Mormonism.
1. If the principle of "Progression" is unalterable, why has the principle broken down two out of three times right within the Godhead? (See the next two questions).
2. If Gods are individuals who have passed through mortality and have progressed to Godhood, how has one person of the Godhead (the Holy Spirit) attained Godhood without getting a body? (See Acts 5:3,4).
3. If Gods are individuals who have passed through an earth life to attain Godhood, how is it that one person of the Godhead (Jesus Christ) was God before He received a body or passed through earth life? (Matthew 1:23 and Hebrews 10:5).
4. If the Book of Mormon really contains the fullness of the gospel, why does it not teach the doctrine of "eternal progression"? (See Doctrine and Covenants 20:8, 9).
5. When God was a man (according to Mormon theology), where did He live before He could create a planet upon which to live?
6. When God number one was a man (before He became God), who created a planet upon which he (man number one) could live? (See Revelation 1:8; 4:11).
7. God said, "Is there a God beside me? Yea, there is no God; I know not any." How can there be Gods who are Elohim's ancestors? (See Isaiah 44:8 and Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 123).
8. If God the Father was once a man, why is that doctrine not supported by "Latter-day revelation"?
9. How can any men ever become Gods when the Bible says, "Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me"? (See Isaiah 43:10).
10. Since Mormonism teaches that only God the Father had a physical body at the time Adam was created, why did God say, "Let us make man in OUR image"? Why didn't H say, "Let us make man in MY image"? (See Genesis 1:26).
11. If Adam is the "only God with whom we have to do", did Adam create himself? (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 50, 51).
12. Joseph Smith stated that without the ordinances and authority of the priesthood no man can see the face of God and live (Doctrine and Covenants 84:21, 22). He also said that he saw God in 1820 (Joseph Smith 2:17). Joseph Smith, however, never received any priesthood until 1829 (Doc. & Cov. 13). How did he see God and survive? In which was he in error: his revelation in Doctrine and Covenants 84:21, 22 or his experience in the grove?
13. If a spirit is a being without a body (See Luke 24:39), why do Mormons teach that God the Father has a body of flesh and bones? (See John 4:24 and Doc. & Cov. 130:22).
14. If the Father is Elohim and Jesus is Jehovah (as Mormons teach), how does a Mormon explain Deuteronomy 6:4, which in the Hebrew says, "Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our Elohim is one Jehovah"? Also, if the designation LORD God (Jehovah Elohim) is a reference to two individuals, why are singular pronouns used in Deuteronomy 6:13?
15. If the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel, why doesn't it teach that God was once a man?
16. One law of reproduction is that everything reproduces after its kind. How is it then that God and His wives, who according to Mormon teaching, have physical glorified bodies, produce children without physical bodies? (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce R. McConkie, pg. 750).
17. A major emphasis of Mormonism is that the Mormon church is the restored church, with everything practiced as it was in the early church. Why then have the Mormon leaders failed to restore the scriptural practice of using the "fruit of the vine" in the "sacrament" service? Why is water used? (Matthew 26:28, 29 and Doc. and Cov. 89:5, 6).
18. If Mormonism is the restored church which is based upon the Bible, why are Mormon leaders so quick to state that the Bible is "translated wrong" when faced with some conflict between the Bible and Mormonism?
19. If Jesus was conceived as a result of a physical union between God and Mary, how was Jesus born of a virgin? (Journal of Discourses Vol. 1, pg. 50 and Doctrines of Salvation, by Joseph Fielding Smith, compiled by Bruce R. McConkie, Vol. 1, pg. 18).
20. If Mormonism is the restored gospel, why is there no mention of temple marriages in the Bible?
21. If the Bible is not entirely translated correctly and if the Mormon church really has a prophet, seer and revelator, why have they not produced a correct translation of the Bible?
22. Why did Christ not return in 1891 as Joseph Smith predicted? (History of the Church, Vol. 2, pg. 182).
23. If Jesus was being married to Mary and Martha in Cana, why was He invited to His own wedding? (John 2:1, 2; Journal of Discourses, Vol. 2, pg. 210).
24. Why do Mormons teach that there is no eternal Hell? (See Book of Mormon, I Nephi 14:3; 15:35; II Nephi 1:13; 9:16; 28:21-25; Mosiah 3:25; Alma 34:32-35; Heleman 6:28. Compare Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, pg. 61, 34th edition).
25. How can Mormons teach that the repentant thief was not saved when the Book of Mormon states that Paradise is where the righteous go? (Luke 23:43; Alma 40:12,16).
26. How did Nephi with a few men on a new continent build a temple like Solomon's while Solomon needed 163,300 workmen and seven years to build his temple? (See I Kings 5:13- 18 and II Nephi 5:15-17).
27. If the Book of Mormon is true, why hasn't a valid geography been established for the book?
28. Why was Joseph Smith still preaching against polygamy in October 1843 after he got his revelation in July 1843 commanding the practice of polygamy? (Doctrine and Covenants 132 and History of the Church, Vol. 6, pg. 46, or Teachings of the Prophet, by Joseph Fielding Smith, pg. 324).
29. If Lehi left Jerusalem before 600 B.C., how did he learn about synagogues? (See II Nephi 26:26).
30. Why does the Book of Mormon, which claims to be the fullness of the gospel, not mention baptism for the dead? (Book of Mormon, Introduction).
31. If the Book of Mormon is from God, why does it have so little original prophecy?
32. If Indians descended from the Jews, why do they have such sparse beards?
33. If Navajos descended from the Jews, why do Navajo babies have the Mongolian spot?
34. If the Book of Mormon is true, why do Indians fail to turn white when they become Mormons? (See II Nephi 30:6, prior to 1981 revision). Why was this verse changed?
35. Were precious ores, such as Solomon used in his temple available to Nephi or not? (II Nephi 5:15,16).
36. If Lehi was a devout Jew, why did he name a son "Sam" rather than Samuel, thus failing to honor God? (See I Samuel 1:20 and I Nephi 2:5).
37. What kind of chariots did the Nephites have in 90 B.C. some 1500 years before the introduction of the wheel in the Western Hemisphere? (See Alma 18:9).
38. How do Mormons account for the word "church" in the Book of Mormon about 600 B.C. which was centuries before the beginning of the Church on the day of Pentecost? (See I Nephi 4:26).
39. How do Mormons account for the italicized words in the King James Version (indicating their absence in the Hebrew and Greek) being found in the Book of Mormon? (A comparison of Mosiah 14 and Isaiah 53 will provide at least 13 examples).
40. How did the French word adieu get into the Book of Mormon? (Jacob 7:27).
41. How can the same act be both right and wrong? Was it right or wrong for Solomon to have many wives? (See Jacob 2:24; Doctrine and Covenants 132:38,39).
42. If polygamy was a provision for increasing population rapidly, why did God give Adam only one wife?
43. If the Apostle John is still alive on the earth, how does the Mormon church explainhaving thirteen living Apostles? (See Doctrine and Covenants 7:1-3).
44. The original Doctrine and Covenants states in part "...Inasmuch as this church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication and polygamy: we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife; and one woman, but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again." Why has this been omitted from the current Doctrine and Covenants? (See Joseph Smith Begins His Work, Vol. 2, pg. 251, last half of the book, which is a reprint of the 1835 edition of Doctrine and Covenants).
45. How can one, using the test in Doctrine and Covenants 129:4, 5, distinguish between an angel of God and a Jehovah's Witness missionary, or a Mormon Elder?
46. If Joseph Smith was a true prophet, why did he not realize that "Esaias" is the New Testament form of "Isaiah"? (Doctrine and Covenants 76:100; Mark 7:6; Isaiah 29:13).
47. How could Elijah (Elias) have appeared to Joseph Smith in the Kirkland Temple as two different people? (See Doctrine and Covenants 110: 12, 13 and compare I Kings 17:1 and James 5:17).
48. If Joseph Smith was a true prophet, why did he fail to realize that "Elias" is the NewTestament form of the name "Elijah"?
49. If children have no sins until they are eight years old, why are they baptized at age eight to wash away non-existent sins? (See Moroni 8:8).
50. Why does Apostle Bruce R. McConkie deny that the doctrine of "blood atonement" was once taught in Utah? (See Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce R. McConkie, pg. 92. Compare Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, pg. 247; Vol. 4, pgs. 219, 220).
51. If Mormonism produces godliness, why has the divorce rate in Utah been above the national average most years since 1960? (Report of Utah Economic and Research Reviewin 1973 and 1987 Statistical Abstract of Utah, pg. 34).
52. How could the Garden of Eden have been in Missouri when the Pearl of Great Price declares that it was in the vicinity of Assyria and had the Euphrates and Hiddekel Rivers in it? (See Pearl of Great Price, Moses 3:14 and Doctrine and Covenants 116 and 117; Genesis 2:8-15).
53. Do you know any human being living today who was alive in 1832? (See prophecy in Doctrine and Covenants 84:4).
54. If free agency is man's great heritage, why will Mormon leaders not readily allowmembers to leave the Mormon system upon request?
55. Brigham Young said, “The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy" (Journal of Discourses, Vol. ll, pg. 269). Why did theMormons yield to the pressure of the government and stop practicing polygamy?
56. Heber C. Kimball stated, "We are the people of Deseret, she shall be no more Utah: we will have our own name". Why did this prophecy fail? (See Journal of Discourses Vol. 5, pg. 161).
57. How did Joseph Smith carry home the golden plates of the Book of Mormon, and how did the witnesses lift them so easily? (They weighed about 230 pounds. Gold, with a density of 19.3 weighs 1204.7 lb.. per cubic foot. The plates were 7" x 8" by about 6". See Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, pg. 262, 34th Edition).
58. If a "Jack Mormon" is not good enough to enter an earthly temple, how can he qualify to enter the Celestial Kingdom even if he has been sealed to his devout parents?
59. If Moroni devoutly practiced the Mormon gospel, why is he an angel now rather than a God? (See Doctrine and Covenants 132:17, 37).
60. Has anyone observed the ministry of the Apostle John upon the earth during the last 100 years? (See Doctrine and Covenants 7:1-3).
61. Why do Mormons emphasize part of the Word of Wisdom and ignore the partforbidding the eating of meat except in winter, cold or famine? (See Doctrine and Covenants 89:12,13).
62. When Christ died, did darkness cover the land for three days or for three hours? (See Luke 23:44 and III Nephi 8:19, 23).
63. If the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God, why have the Mormons changed it? (See A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, by Le Grand Richards, pg. 73, revised edition 1971). (Jerald and Sandra Tanner counted 3,913 changes in the Book of Mormon, exclusive of punctuation changes, prior to the revisions made in 1981. One may check the original in Joseph Smith Begins His Work, by Wilford C. Wood, Vol. 1).
64. How can a man be a prophet of God if even one prophecy fails or one revelation is wrong? (See Deuteronomy 18:20-22. Compare Doctrine and Covenants 84:4; 7:1-3).
65. Is a revelation given by a prophet any less authoritative even if not authorized by theMormon church?
66. If God speaks through a prophet, what are Mormons doing voting on whether or not to receive and authorize it?
67. It has been established that the "Sensen" manuscript was simply a common Egyptian burial papyrus. Why do the Mormons still accept the Book of Abraham which was translated from that manuscript? (See Why Egyptologists Reject the Book of Abraham,Utah Lighthouse Ministry, P.O. Box 1884, Salt Lake City, Utah 84110).
68. Why is it that no reliable linguist or Egyptologist ever refers to "Reformed Egyptian"?
69. Why is it that no other writings have been found in the language of "Reformed Egyptian", the supposed language of the Book of Mormon plates? Is there evidence that such a language really existed?
70. Joseph Smith said that there are men living on the moon who dress like Quakers and live to be nearly 1000 years old. Since he was wrong about the moon, is it safe to trust him regarding the way to Heaven? (See The Young Woman's Journal, Vol. 3, pgs. 263, 264. See reprint in Mormonism--Shadow or Reality? by Jerald and Sandra Tanner, pg. 4).
71. Why didn't Joseph Smith keep the Word of Wisdom? Why did he drink beer? (See Millennial Star, Vol. 23, pg. 720).
72. Why do Mormons not study Hebrew and Greek so that they can intelligently discuss about the accuracy of the translation of the Bible?
73. Joseph Smith prepared fourteen Articles of Faith. Why has the original # ll been omitted? (See Joseph Smith Begins His Work, Vol. 2, three pages after pg. 160, among the photos).
74. Why have several dozen word changes been made in the Articles of Faith of the Mormon church? (Ibid).
75. According to Hebrews 7:24, the Melchizedek Priesthood is unchangeable (untransferable). Why do Mormons pass it from one to another?
76. If Mormonism came as a revelation from God, why were the Mormon Temple Oaths almost identical to the oaths of the Masonic Lodge? (See Temple Mormonism, by A.J. Montgomery, pg. 18,20). Does it not bother faithful Mormons to realize that "Divinely given" ceremonies have been changed? (See The Daily Herald, Provo, Utah, April 29, 1990).
77. If in the resurrection, people will be AS the angels in Heaven, why should the Mormons expect there to be marriage union in Heaven? (See Matthew 22:30 and Doctrine and Covenants 132:15-17).
78. Why did the Nauvoo House not stand forever and ever? (Doctrine and Covenants 124:56-60).
79. If genealogies are important, why does the New Testament tell Christians to avoid "endless genealogies"? (I Timothy 1:4; Titus 3:9).
80. The Bible says, "The blood of Jesus Christ...cleanseth from all sin." Why did Brigham Young say that there are some sins which can be atoned for only by the shedding of ones own blood? (See Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, pg. 247; Vol. 4, pg. 49, 53, 54).
81. God rejected the fig leaf aprons which Adam and Eve made. Why do Mormons Memorialize the fall by using fig leaf aprons? (See Genesis 3:21).
82. Jesus said, "In secret have I said nothing." Why is much of Mormonism secret? (John 18:20).
83. Why do Mormons insist that Ezekiel 37:15-22 is about two books instead of about two kingdoms as God Himself explained in verse 22?
84. If Acts 3:20,21 is a prophecy about the restoration of Mormonism, why didn't Jesus return in 1830?
85. Revelation 14:6,7 is part of the body of prophecy about the future Great Tribulation. How could that passage have been fulfilled by Moroni in 1830? (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce R. McConkie, pg. 514).
86. In the light of Ezekiel 28:13-15 and Hebrews 1:5, how can Satan and Jesus be brothers? (Note: Satan was created). (See Mormon Doctrine page 129, where Jesus is referred to as the firstborn of the Father, and page 192 where it says that the devil is a spirit son ofGod).
87. If no person ever receives the Holy Spirit before baptism or without the laying on of hands, how does a Mormon explain the case of Cornelius? (See Acts 10:44-47).
88. If baptism for the dead was a Christian ceremony, why did Paul use the pronoun "they" rather than "we" or "ye"? Why did he exclude himself and other Christians when referring to it? (I Corinthians 15:29).
89. If Jesus preached the gospel to disobedient spirits during the time His body was entombed, why did He preach only to the ones who had been disobedient in Noah's time? Why didn't He give a second chance to those who had lived later, such as in Isaiah's time? (See I Peter 3:18-20).
90. Since the Bible says that a Bishop should be the husband of one wife, how can Mormons claim that polygamy is proper for New Testament Christians? (I Timothy 3:2).
91. If the Mormon church is organized according to the pattern of the Bible, why do they have boy deacons? ( I Tim. 3:8-12).
92. If murder is the unpardonable sin, why did Moses appear in glory on the Mount of Transfiguration? (Exodus 2:12; Matthew 17:3; Doctrine and Covenants 42:18 and Alma 24:10).
93. How can a man who is not a descendant of Aaron hold the Aaronic Priesthood?(Numbers 3:10; 16:40; Hebrews 7:13,14).
94. How could God have justly placed Adam and Eve in a predicament which forced them to break either His first or His second commandment? (See Genesis 1:28; 2:16, 17; James 1:13).
95. Since Jesus said that the broad way leads to destruction, why does the Mormon church teach that the broad way leads to the Terrestrial Heaven? (Compare Matthew 7:13,14 with the Free Agency chart No. 30).
96. Ephesians 2:8,9 speaks of salvation by grace through faith. How can this be resurrection which Mormons say that all people will receive automatically? Do all people have faith? (See Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, pg. 87, 34th edition).
97. Ephesians 2:8,9 further states that this salvation is the gift of God and is not of works. How can this be exaltation? (Mormons teach that exaltation is attained by obedience, works and keeping the commandments). (Ibid. pg. 87 and A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, by Le Grand Richards, pg. 276, revised edition 1971).
98. If salvation as taught in the Bible is neither resurrection nor exaltation, how can Mormons hear the Bible way of salvation in a Mormon Church?
99. How does a Mormon explain Romans 10:13? (Neither general salvation nor individual salvation fits this text).
100. Why don't Mormons ever say, "I was saved on such and such a day?" (See past tense in Titus 3:5).