These questions call for careful study. They are not in order, but written just as they came to mind.
1. Why did Jesus come? Did He come only to provide the resurrection? Did He die only for Adam’s sins? Luke 19:10;1st Cor. 15:3:1; Peter 2:24
2. What does the word “damn” mean? Does it mean one’s “progress” is stopped? Don’t confuse the word “dam” and the word “damn.” A dam is a barrier to prevent the flow of water. The word “damn” means “to doom to everlasting punishment” (according to the dictionary).
3. Did we have a spiritual body before we became physical? (1Cor. 15:46)…tells us, “Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural, and afterwards that which is spiritual.”
4. Would you say that man is in the physical image of god? (He is in the spiritual image of God—he has love, hate, wrath, self-determination, etc.) he is like the animals…physically, with the same respiratory, digestive, circulatory, etc. systems.
5. Does God have a body? (Romans 1:21-23)”…because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened”. (22)”Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.” (23) “And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.” Read verses 24-25. Your Mormon Missionary Edition of the Bible in the dictionary in the back of it says: “The knowledge of God with which the Bible provides us is of a progressive character….In the earlier parts of the Bible there are passages which speak of God in a way which seems to us anthropomorphic I.E. FEELINGS, THOUGHTS, AND ACTS are attributed to him which belong to man and not God…AS TIME went on men perceived that such language is metaphorical; but during the childhood of the race it was the most natural way in which to express man’s beliefs about the ways and thoughts of God.” Passages, which speak of God’s hand, sight, hearing, etc., are often given to prove that God is an exalted man. Would you by the same token say that God is like a chicken? (Psalms 91:4…”He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust.” The Book of Mormon very plainly teaches that God was never a man…(Mosiah 13:34). The Holy Bible says that God is (not has) a Spirit. (John 4:24) Jesus said that a spirit does not have flesh and bone (Luke 24:39). Therefore, God does not have flesh and bone. God is not a man. God is invisible (Col. 1:15). All of the “body” of God that ever dwelt on the earth was Jesus (Col. 2:9-10). The Book of Mormon says that God is a Spirit. (Alma 18:24-28, Alma 22:9-11 and many other places also).
6. “For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing and now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a God who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a God who is not a God of Miracles. But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob, and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.” (Moroni 9:9-11)
Mormon 9:19 says, “I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God and he ceaseth not to be God; and is a “God of Miracles.”
Moroni 8:18 says, “For I know that God is not a partial God. Neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.”
I should explain here that I do not accept the Book of Mormon as scripture, I am simply pointing out that it does not teach what Mormonism teaches.
7. Is there more than one God? The Bible is very positive in this matter. (Isa. 43:10, 44:6, 45:5 to name a few). (The “gods many” of 1 Cor. 8:5-6 is speaking of those who are only “called gods” not genuine). The Book of Mormon says there is only one God in Alma 11:22 and on if you choose to verses 26-28. God, Christ and the Holy Spirit are one God. Read John 1:11 and John 5:7. Read in the Book of Mormon the last sentence of the Testimony of the Three Witnesses, 2 Nephi 11:7:26:12b, etc., as presented on pages 26 and 27 of Hope or Despair?
8. Did you know that Jesus is the “Latter-day” revelation of God? Read Hebrews 1:1. His message today is not prophets but Jesus.
9. What could one be if he produced a will written after the death of the testator? (an impostor) The New Testament contains the last will and testament of Christ and it was put into effect at his death. Hebrews 9:15-17.
10. Do you believe in genealogy work? How do you account for 1 Timothy 1:4 and Titus 3:9? Why is “genealogy work” never mentioned in the Book of Mormon?
11. Jesus never promised that the “Apostles” (as the twelve) would continue. He did promise that His Church would continue. (Matt.16:18) (“rock” not revelation here) Jesus promised to meet the “church” (Matt. 26:32) he met them, and promised to be with them always—did they leave the earth? Is He true? Then the church never left the earth. We need no more “new apostles” (Eph. 2:20) than a new Jesus. In building a house---we do not remove the foundation as we build---but we build upon that foundation. (Eph. 2:19-22). I am one of those stones. We are still building. Each Christian is one of those stones.
12. Did you know that the Bible never says that any Christian was ever “baptized for the dead”? (“They”, not “we”) (1 Cor. 15:29). For an explanation …Read Hope or Despair? Page 27-28. The Book of Mormon denies the validity of Mormon Baptism for the dead” (Alma 34:34-35).
13. How do you account for the “priesthood’s” being the greatest enemies of Christ? (Read the last paragraph on page 32 (and page 33) of Hope or Despair? I don’t want to be numbered with that bunch. They failed, Heb 9:11-28. Jesus alone qualifies. Heb. 7:24-28.
14. Are “three degrees” of glory taught in the Bible? 1 Cor. 15:35-46 is a part of Paul’s discussion of the resurrection. Evidently some had asked what kind of body he would have in heaven (Vs 35). Paul says you have no need to be disturbed about that---God has proven His ability by making the flesh of men, beasts, fishes, and birds different –(Vs 39). He will have no problem here. There are “celestial bodies” (things of heaven) and terrestrial (things of earth). God has made the sun, moon, and stars. He will have no difficulty with the resurrection. 2 Cor. 12:2 speaks of the “third” heaven as the place where God is---no relationship between this and 1 Cor. 15. In 2 Cor. 12:2, Paul was speaking not of the sky, or of the great universe of which we see only a part, but of Heaven---the abode of God.
15. Why is the Mormon Doctrine of the “three” glories not taught in the Book of Mormon???
16. Do you make proselytes? Do you know the curse placed on those who make proselytes? (Matt. 23:15) Mormonism is a modern-day counter-part of Pharisees. I do not make proselytes. We are not interested in converting people to our opinion—we want to get them to accept Christ as their personal Savior—Joining the church will then be the natural result. Mormonism does not see salvation as part of Mormonism.
17. How do you account for your claim that the church left the earth when Jesus said, “the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it?” This means in the original, “No, not for a moment.” Was Christ wrong? You will recall that there have always been apostates. There is wide spread apostasy in Mormonism even now.
18. Do you use profanity? (Practically all Mormon missionaries do.) How do you harmonize this with James 3:9-12?
19. Have you ever broken one of God’s laws? (James 2:10) Upon what do you depend for forgiveness for this? (James 2:23, Rom. 4:1-5, Gal. 2:16) (How many laws kept will it take to make up for one broken?) Be sure that you are prepared to explain verse 18 of James 2…”Yes, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy work and I will show thee my faith by my works.” (Answer: FAITH & WORKS GO HAND IN HAND…WORKS AND FAITH GO HAND IN HAND, NEITHER CAN STAND ALONE!)
20. What is the purpose of scripture? (John 20:31) (Not priesthood, prophets, eternal marriage etc.) See also 2nd Tim. 3:16.
21. Are you God’s child? Have you been His since birth? Read Book of Mormon Mosiah 27: 25b. (Note: “becoming his sons and daughters” as though you were not already his son or daughter.) Note especially verse 25—but read verses around verse 25.
22. Who was the author of the Book of Mormon? Did you know that Smith claimed to be in the first Edition (1830)? See photo on page 6 and also on page 9 (second edition) of Hope of Despair? Note that Joseph Smith claimed to be the author—the printer said he was the author—he swore he was the author, he signed the article as the author (preface) and the Eight Witnesses swore that he was the author. See photo on page 8 of HOPE or DESPAIR? See also the new paragraph inserted near the bottom of page 7 of the second edition of HOPE or DESPAIR? The second edition of the Book of Mormon was printed under the same copyright laws as the first edition—and whatever was required in the first would have applied to the second.
23. What would happen if you swore to contrary facts? (Both statements would be dropped from the testimony and you would be lucky not to be prosecuted for perjury.)
24. Is the Book of Mormon inspired? Then how can you account for the book itself making no such claim? Read HOPE or DESPAIR? on pages 23-24 in which quoted passages from the Book of Mormon actually deny inspiration. One wrote what he thought was sacred, another what he considered to be most precious, another according to the best of his knowledge, etc. If God was the author of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon (and so much is copied from the King James Holy Bible in the Book of Mormon) why no passages like Isa. 40:8, Matt. 24:35, 2 Peter 1:21? Why no passages to compare with the 23rd Psalm, the Beatitudes, Jn. 14:1-6, etc (Read WHO WROTE THE BOOK OF MORMON) (obtainable from John L. Smith) Mormon in the Book of Mormon admits changes and imperfections in the Book of Mormon. (The Book of Mormon has been changed in about 4,000 places since the first edition—order the Book of Mormon TRUE or FALSE? From John L. Smith for a more detailed study of the Book of Mormon) The Mormons claim and infallible translation for the Book of Mormon. See second paragraph page 39 of THIRTY-FIVE MORMONS available from John L. Smith. Read also HAS MORMONISM CHANGED? Page 34 & 35 on this subject.
25. With so many changes in the Book of Mormon—how do you account for the preferences given in Article VIII of your Articles of Faith? Translations do not have to agree in the choice of words in order to be correct. Explain. (A house might, under certain instances be an ‘abode,’ a ‘tent’ a cabin.)
26. How do you account for Utah’s being technically the state that did away with the 18th Amendment to our Federal Constitution—in view of their stand on the use of alcoholic beverages? (It became the 36th state—the number required—to ratify the new amendment, and boasts of its place as the state that actually did away with prohibition.) Mormon Church owned KSL radio advertises coffee, cigarettes, beer, wine, etc. Read the Bible Hadakkuk 2:15. Mormonism sells it! I lived in Utah 17 years and found only one grocery store that did not sell beer. When I said to the grocery man, “You don’t sell beer,” he said, “I’ve been thinking about starting.”
27. Are Christ and the Devil brothers? John 3:16—note: “only” Pearl of Great Price Moses 5:13. Mormonism says they are.
28. Mormonism requires Joseph Smith, and the present day Prophet and Mormonism. The Bible requires only Jesus. (Acts 4:12) (John 14:6) (Ephesians 2:8-9)
29. We speak of being saved by Grace. We believe we are saved by grace (unmerited favor) and rewarded for our works (Matt. 16:27). (Grace is our ticket to heaven—our reward is the result of work after we have been saved.)
30. Are any lost? (Luke 19:10) Did Jesus die in vain?
31. Were all saved at the death of Jesus? (Paul, the Philippian Jailer, the Ethiopian Eunuch, etc., were saved after the death of Jesus.)
32. Who are your evangelists? (Eph. 4:11) Your pastors? What is an evangelist? (One who carries news of man’s redemption through Christ? A preacher. A revivalist.) We use the term pastor—You use the term bishop (our pastors are bishops). The meaning of the word and work make it evident that a Mormon Patriarch is not an evangelist. Apostles are called missionaries. We have them.
33. Do you like the song “Come, Come, Ye Saints?” What is the main thought of the song? (All is well.) Read: Book of Mormon, 2nd Nephi 28:25…Woe be unto them (him) that crieth: “All is well!” Verse 24…”woe be unto him that is at ease in Zion!”
34. Do you believe in a literal hell? Why does the Book of Mormon say more about hell as a place of fire then the Bible? “Awful Hell” is mentioned in 1st Nephi 15:29 and 35. Three times in the 9th chapter of 2nd Nephi, we read about “the lake of fire and brimstone.” Read especially 2nd Nephi 9:26 & 34-36. These are only a few. Why does the Book of Mormon have more to say about hell than the Bible?
35. Do you believe God is changing that he was once a man? Did he have all knowledge? Book of Mormon, 1st Nephi 9:6. (Mormon 9:9-11 & 19b, Moroni 8:18)
36. Did you know that the Bible only says that God is a Spirit one time, (John 4:24) But the Book of Mormon says that He is a Spirit several times? (Alma 18:24-28, 19:25, 22:9-11) (Note: “the” or “that” Spirit- not “a” Spirit) Why don’t you believe it?
37. Is “Baptism for the dead” in the Book of Mormon? Why not? The Book of Mormon actually teaches to the contrary. (Alma 34:34, Mosiah 3:25)
38. Why is eternal marriage, temple marriage, etc., (distinctive doctrine of Mormonism) so obviously missing from the Book of Mormon??
39. Are three degrees of Glory taught in the Book of Mormon? Why not? (Why do you strain the point so to attempt to make the Bible teach it?)
40. Have you been born again? (Mosiah 27:24-28) The new birth is not Baptism. In John 3rd, only 2 births are being discussed. The 1st (literally from the Mother’s womb) was a physical birth, the 2nd (the one in question) is the Spiritual birth. Have you had this one?
41. Do you trust your prophet? (2nd Nephi 28:31) (This incidentally, is quoted from Jeremiah 17:5)
42. Does the Book of Mormon teach polygamy? (called a grosser crime in Jacob 2:23-24, abominable in verses 24, your ‘excuse’ in verse 30 is a bit ‘thin’) Why does Doctrine and Covenants contradict the Book of Mormon (David and Solomon had been “abominable” in Jacob 2:24 – now in D & C 132:2 they are “justified”) but God doesn’t change – Moroni 8:18.
43. Where was Jesus born? History (& the Bible) says Bethlehem. The Book of Mormon says Jerusalem. (Alma 7:10)
44. Is Jesus “A” messiah or “the” Messiah? The Bible always says “the” (only one) while the Book of Mormon says “a” as though he were one of many. (1st Nephi 1:19).
45. How do you account for the use of the word “church” in 1st Nephi 4:26 (and in many other passages) supposedly 600 years before Christ and before the church’s constitution? The Bible never speaks of a thing by a new name until after it has been presented. (This is true with the term’s baptism, church, Jesus, etc.)
46. In the Bible, things not yet discovered are never presented in their future light. How do you account for the discussion of such things as the revolving or rotating of the moon and pores of the skin several thousand years before their discovery? (‘Pores’, Mosiah 3:7, “Planets” Alma 30:44, “Bible” 2nd Nephi 29:6 & 10) This is proof of a latter origin of the Book of Mormon. (I think there are instances where a word is used out of its time frame. In those instances it was admittedly a problem of translation.)
47. The Book of Mormon speaks of “baptism” in 1st Nephi 20:1, some 588-570 years before Christ (supposedly). How do you account for the complete absence of this term in the Old Testament? (2nd King and 2nd Chronicles were being written at about the same time.)
48. How do you account for the Book of Mormon quoting Shakespeare? (2nd Nephi 1:14) (This is a rather free quote form Hamlet, Chap 3, scene 1)
49. Would God have required man to disobey him? (2nd Nephi 2:22-25) (Moses 2:27-28) Pearl of Great Price. Does God want man to sin? When did God change His mind? Should you force your child to disobey you? Would you give him conflicting orders?
50. How do you account for your contention that the Bible is so filled with error because of the many translations—yet 13 chapters in 2nd Nephi 12-24 are almost word for word from the King James Version –including punctuation? Yet Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt said, “All this imperfection to the uncertainty of the translation, and who, in his right mind, could, for one moment, suppose the Bible in its present form to be a perfect guide? Who knows that even one verse of the whole Bible has escaped pollution?”
51. How do you account for the fact that even italicized words (indicating their absence in the original and added to clarify the meaning) is found in the above-mentioned passage? (2nd Nephi 12-24 is one example.)
52. Is coffee kept in your home? Why? Is it as bad as alcoholic beverages? The LDS sanctions the advertising of beer, wine, and tobacco and sell it to.
53. The word “Jesus” is the Greek form of Jesoshua (Joshua), hence, the word is never found in the Old Testament. This is also true of the word “Christ”, “Church”, etc. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. Why were these later Greek words used in the Book of Mormon if it was supposed to be written in Reformed Egyptian and would be an unfamiliar language? Did God change his pattern just for the Book of Mormon?
54. How do you account for a comparatively modern French word (Adieu) in Jacob 7:27 when the Book of Mormon was supposed to have been written in Reformed Egyptian—and neither Joseph Smith nor Jacob were French?
55. Why do Mormon hospitals change the blood in Rh factor babies by transfusion when Brigham Young said that Joseph Smith could do it with a blessing? (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 2, page 269.)
56. If polygamy were just to increase the population in a hurry as is sometimes claimed by the Mormons—didn’t God miss a good opportunity when he placed Adam here?57. Were the three witnesses called Seers? Why did they not die when they saw the plates? (Mosiah 8:9 & 13)
58. Did Joseph Smith see God with his “natural eyes”? Was he greater than Moses? (Read Moses 1:11 in the Pearl of Great Price.)
59. Why is the Sea Gull Monument (and Smith’s and Young’s status) in Salt Lake City when Mosiah 12:36 is in the Book of Mormon? Do you believe the Book of Mormon?
60. How do you account for your refusal to give the Negro’s the priesthood when 2nd Nephi 26:28 says, “none are forbidden” and verse 33 says, “he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female? (Yet blacks were forbidden to hold the priesthood for a century.) Can a single woman in your church hold the priesthood? (See Galatians 3:28-29)
61. Do you believe 2nd Nephi 27:26? Read and explain Deut. 13:1-5.
62. False teachers are said to “rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries.” (2nd Nephi 28:13)(Pride is also condemned-vs. 12) How do you account for the present “splurge” of extraordinary expensive Mormon buildings?
63. What do you think of this statement: “When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan it is God’s plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give direction, it should mark the end of the controversy.” Improvement Era, June 1945, page 354.
64. Mormons insist that there is no hell, as we have always believed—how about 2nd Nephi 28:22-23?
65. Do you trust your church president (or Smith) for your way of salvation? What if neither existed, nor ever existed? Could you “progress” then? Then you trust them? Read 2nd Nephi 28:31.
66. Did God have parents (and grandparents)? Where did they live? Read Jacob 2:5.
67. Polygamy is called a crime in Jacob 2:23-24. Is God a Polygamist? Read Journal of Discourses Vol. 1, page 50. It says Adam brought “one” of his wives with him and that Adam “is our Father and our God.”
68. Hope or Despair? Mormon Jedidiah M. Grant said that Christ was a polygamist (see Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 346, or Hope or Dispair? Pg. 15) now those who commit crime are criminals. Is God a criminal? Jesus? Mormons? (Pre-1870 editions of the D & C call polygamy a crime.) Will you practice polygamy in heaven? Will you be a criminal there?
69. When you get to heaven, you are supposed to have your family there. Tell me, will you be a babe in arms—or a grandfather with whiskers? Will you be your Mother’s baby or your wife’s husband—or your grandchild’s grandfather? Confusing isn’t it?
70. Are you familiar with Ether 10:5 (Book of Mormon)? Can you find one passage in the Book of Mormon that upholds polygamy? Remember the Book of Mormon is supposed to be so much plainer than the Holy Bible? It is supposed to contain the fullness of the gospel.71. How do you account for the tremendous divorce rate in Utah? Read page 25 in Has Mormonism Changes? Bankruptcies? Polygamy? 72. A newspaper article (1960) quotes the attorney general of Utah as saying that perhaps more people are practicing polygamy than even in Young’s day. How do you account for this since Utah is predominantly Mormon…and you make the laws and enforce them? Read pg. 22 of the 2nd edition of Hope or Despair? 73. Why do you say that the Manifesto stopped polygamy when even the president of your church practiced it (and pleaded guilty & paid a fine) 16 years after the Manifesto? Read pg. 30 of Hope & Despair? 2nd edition, see also insert at back of the book. 74. Do you believe that animals, birds, and trees have souls? Read Moses 3:9 & 19. 75. How do you account for Moses 3:7 saying that man became the first flesh…when the Bible says the animals, birds, and fishes were created before man? (Gen. 1:20-26) 76. Do your Bishops receive pay? Why not? Read D & C 42:72-73, “His support, or “a just remuneration for all his services in the church means his living, or a just repayment for his time and services as though we were working at another job.” 77. You think more highly of your Prophet than other men, don’t you? How do you account for Matt? 23:9-10? (If he mentions Amos 3:7 this has been fulfilled, and to give it the “Mormon meaning” is to take it out of context. This is wrong. Read Matt. 23:13-27. This is a good picture of Mormonism. 78. Should you expect another Jesus? They why expect other apostles or prophets? (Ephesians 2:19-22) 79. Has the gospel changed? (God’s hasn’t) What is the Gospel? (The good news that Jesus has come.) Is polygamy still right? Is blood atonement (killing a man to save his soul) still right? Read pages 14-16, 17, 18 and 19 in Hope & Despair? Is Adam God? (Journal of Discourses Vol. 1, pg. 50) Or was Brigham Young a false prophet? What can you believe? Can the Bible be depended on? 1st Pet. 1:23-25. Matt. 24:35. Read the Book of Mormon Examined, by the Tanners, for changes in the Book of Mormon.)
80. Why was the Urim & Thurmmim replaced by the Seer stone in the translation of the Book of Mormon? Is it reasonable that God would have gone to all the trouble to preserve the Urim & Thummim and then have a stone so small and convenient to improve on his work.81. Anyone familiar with any foreign language knows the impossibility of two identical translations. Could 2nd Nephi, chapters 12-24 is so nearly identical—even to spelling, punctuation, verse markings, etc., unless they were copies from the King James Version of the Holy Bible?
82. How do you account for the secrets of the Temple when the Book of Mormon says to the contrary? (2nd Nephi 26:33) The “children of men” implies that even those not considered children of “God,” they should be allowed to see. (Non-Mormons are considered “Gentiles” by Mormons.)83. Mormonism has a “priesthood” but the Book of Mormon says, “He commandeth that there be no priest crafts.’ The dictionary says of priest crafts, “Priestly knowledge, skill, policies, or methods.” The Book of Mormon says “priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world…” (2nd Nephi 26:27-29) How do you justify your priesthood in the light of this passage? Remember that the church is rich and prospers with every conversion to Mormonism. 84. Mormonism’s restoration doctrines are not new. Did you know that they are taught by Alexander Campbell several years before Joseph Smith them from Sidney Rigdon who was a “Campbellite’ preacher. 85. The Book of Mormon teaches a new birth (not baptism) why don’t you teach it? (Mosiah 27:25b, Alma 5:14 & 49b, 3rd Nephi 9:17) 86. The Bible says, “the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch”—The Book of Mormon says, they were called Christians more than 100 years before, even before Christ came. (Alma 46:15) How do you account for this? 87. How do you account for Alma 1:4 (speaking of false teaching) being so near to the teachings of the Book of Mormon today? (Baptism for the dead.) It does not teach what Mormons teach! 88. Is Mormon Welfare for all, regardless of church membership? Read Alma 1:30. 89. What is paradise? (That’s where Jesus said he would go on the day of his crucifixion.) The Book of Mormon describes Paradise, Alma 40:12, Moroni 10:34. 90. How do you account for your belief that God changed your practice of polygamy when the Book of Mormon says, “the degrees of God are unalterable?” (Alma 41:8) It is an abomination in Jacob 2:24, a crime in 1870, everlasting in D & C 132:4, and rejected by the Manifesto in 1890, practiced by the president of the church as late as 1945. 91. Is Christ God? (John 1:1, 1st John 5:7, John 10:30) (Book of Mormon, title page, 2nd paragraph, 2nd Nephi 11:7, 2nd Nephi 26:12, Mosiah 15:2-5, 16:15, one God in Alma 11:27-29, Alma 11:38-39, Alma 14:5, 3rd Nephi 11:27 & 36, 3rd Nephi 11:14) 92. Has the Book of Mormon ever changed? What does alter mean? (Mormon 9:32-33) (Also changed 4,000 times since first printed in 1830.)
93. Does one always have a “broken heart”at the age of 8? (You baptize at 8—see Moroni 6:2)
94. Did God have a father and mother? (Moroni 7:22) Orson Hyde said he was once a Child (God)—Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 123. This cannot be true. Moroni 7:22 says, “God knowing all things.” He was never a child. He did not have parents.
95. How can you say that the “bind on earth, bound in heaven” passages in Matthew 18 is speaking of marriage when marriage is not mentioned in the entire chapter?
96. How can you quibble about the few hundred so-called Christian denominations (in almost 2,000 years) when Mormonism has already divided into 60 some-odd groups or factions in just over 170 years. (Strangites, Reorganites, Bickertonites, Cutlerites, Fundamentalists, etc.)
97. When there was only one high priest at a time (see John 11:49 & 51-- there were about 83 different ‘high Priests’, one serving at a time) how do you account for your more than 200,000 (1960)?
98. The pamphlet “What the Mormons Believe” by Charles Penrose, says (on pg. 13) “Teachers visit the members and see that there is no iniquity permitted to remain in the Church.” Is this true?
99. Why are items forbidden by the Word of Wisdom advertised and sold by the church owned institutions? KSL-TV, Deseret News, Hotel Utah, etc., coffee, wine, beer, tobacco, etc. are forbidden by the church.
100. Can you feel that God would choose a “wicked man” as one of the ”Three Witnesses?” (D & C 3:12 and 5:23-26)(God never called David wicked.)
101. Was God mixed up when he spoke of James as Peter’s brother in D & C 7:7?
102. D & C 20:1 speaks of 1830 years since the coming of Jesus in the flesh. We now know that a mistake was made in the calendar. How do you account for this in the Doctrine and Covenants?
103. D & C 20:19 speaks of the “only living and true God.” How do you harmonize this with the “Gods” of Abraham 4 and also chapter 5 (Pearl of Great Price)?
104. Do you have further questions about God? (Read 3rd Nephi 11:14, D & C 20:29)
105. Is Hell a place? (D & C 29:38)
106. In the Bible the elements used in the Lord’s supper are always referred to as “bread” and the “fruit of the vine.” It is never referred to in the Bible as a “sacrament.’ How do you account for the change in the pattern in D & C 20:46 when the Lord’s supper is referred to as the “sacrament,” and the element is always “wine?” Isn’t your change to water (D & C 27:1-4) really about like some folks change of sprinkling for immersion…a matter of convenience? Lord’s supper is referred to as communion in King James Holy Bible 1st Cor. 10:16.
107. Read D & C 22:1. Doesn’t this say that “all” old covenants have “I caused to be done away?” Evidently this (D & C) has made useless the Bible and the Book of Mormon. If the D & C is a new and everlasting covenant, how has polygamy ceased to be a requirement for Mormonism?
108. D & C 21:1-5 (especially verse 4 (“all”)) seems to require that “all” the words of a seer (prophet or apostle) etc., should be heeded as though they came from God. Why not openly teach that Adam is God, cutting the throats of apostates, etc., as in the past?
109. Can you explain to us about the “three disciples” who were “never to taste of death?” Why did John the Baptist have to come to earth if these three were already there?
110. Since the Book of Mormon speaks so strongly against secret oaths and organizations (4th Nephi 42, Ether 8:16 & 18, 14:10 and about “Master Mahan in Moses 5:29-30-31 & 49 and other passages) and since there can be no doubt but that he is speaking of Masonry here, why did Joseph Smith become a Mason? Especially since this was so strongly condemned. Smith knew he had nothing to fear he knew these books did not come from God.
111. Do you actually believe a boat would float with a hole in the bottom? God never did anything needlessly. (Ether 2:20) By the way, my favorite verse in the Book of Mormon is 4th Nephi 1:6. It took a wise god to think that one up!
112. How long is a tree? (Ether 2:17) Read Ether 2:16-25. Then read chapter 3 about the small stones vs. 1 for light.
113. The Book of Mormon (Ether 5:3 & 4) says that 3 would be allowed to see the plates. Don’t you think God was getting pretty generous to allow 8 more to see it? Yours must be a “fickle” deity.
114. Did you ever hear of snakes driving cattle? (Ether 9:31) The Bible records many events that were supernatural, but there was always a purpose, a lesson to be learned. Book of Mormon miracles are silly. Certainly they are not comparable to the events recorded in the Bible.115. Fit subjects for baptism are describes in Moroni 6:8….quote: Neither did they receive any into baptism save they came forth with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and witnessed unto the church that they truly repented of all their sins…
116. Does a child always have a broken heart, contrite spirit, and show evidence of repentance on the Sunday following his 8th birthday? (D & C 68:25-27). Just “horsesence” is sufficient to know that children are different, and that no such arbitrary age for the experiences mentioned in Moroni 6:2 could be established.
117. Isn’t it rather interesting that the Book of Mormon should condemn churches which say: “Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sin.” (Mormon 8:32) and then in D & C 64:23 promises that if you tithe (see also 85:3) you should not experience “vengeance and burning.”
118. If Mormonism was intended to unify…Unite…”bring people to Unity” how do you explain the 80 and more groups of people who have branched off of original Mormonism? (Brighamites, Josephites, Strangites, Cutlerites, Bickertonites, etc.)
119. Describe the “Urim & Thummin.” Do you believe heaven is like that? (D & C 130:8)
120. Despite all the statements in the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, the Missionary Edition of the Bible, especially Bound for the Church page 46 (see Dictionary under God) etc.,--see question no. 5…do you believe that God has a body of flesh and bones? (D & C 130:22).
121. Can God dwell in a man’s heart? (D & C 130:3) written in regards to John 14:23. Your D & C says in 130:3vs…John 14:23—the appearing of the Father and Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance, and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false! Now, then, read for your self the King James Holy Bible scripture reading of John 14:23…Jesus said unto Judas (not Iscariot), If a man love me, he will keep my words and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him…read rest of chapter 14. And read chapter 15. Then read Ephesians 3:17…that Christ may swell in your hearts by faith…In 14:23 means the same thing. Read chapter 3 of Eph.
122. Doesn’t D & C 107:92 say that Christ (the head of the church) and the “prophet” Smith, Young, and McKay and the others are equal?
Many questions other than these could have been added. There has been some duplications. We have made some typographical errors.